Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolution Mania!

Miles Run This Week: 4
Days until Burlington: 139

Happy 2012! I made it through the holiday rush! While I didn't stick to my running-five-days-a-week clause, having it in place at least got me out there as much as I could (which is better than nothing). I ended 2011 with a 5.5 mile run at a 9:30 pace (which is only about 8 seconds off my fasted recorded pace) and felt good. I am most certainly a cold weather runner.

I have to say - 2011 is the most consistently trained year, and I probably ended up with the most miles (but didn't track them in one place, so I don't know how many I did - which is a goal for 2012).

So every January, I join the ranks of....everyone else, and make a ton of resolutions. While I've been better these past few years in making resolutions that are attainable and can be broken down into actual actions, I'm totally guilty of piling on 75 things that in the end aren't sustainable when I try to implement. But I figure, if I can keep 50% of my goals, I'm that much closer to the person I want to be.

So for 2012:
-Keep a running log - to note the weather, how I was feeling, pace, distance - little factors that could either snowball into a bigger problem (like burnout) or factors that could lead to adjustments for big time wins.

- I'm going to have No Meat Mondays - which means just that. But I'll concentrate on deriving my protein from beans, edamame, and quinoa - which are all nutrient dense foods. This also means I'll probably be relying a bit on the No Meat Athlete blog - for recipes and tips for even 1 day a week meat-free. I have no intention on going full blown vegetarian, but I do plan on incorporating a more conscientious diet while I train. This will make it 1 step easier. Also, one of my favorite bloggers, who got me through my tri - Susan Lacke (@SusanLacke) writes for them. She always knows what I'm terrified of (and how to fix it).

-PR in my marathons. We all know it's on my mind. I'm even going to get the Runner's World "break 4:30" marathon plan - so if I don't do it in Burlington, I can train again for DC.

-Hello, my name is Amy, and I have weak hip muscles. There. I said it. I've been in denial for about 3 years. I will deny it no longer! I found a couple exercises and stretches to start strengthening my abductors - which, in the long run, will take the strain off my IT band and my knees. And hopefully make my jeans fit better.

-Yoga, 3 times a week. I started out 2011 pretty OK with this goal - I found a nice little 20 minute "Yoga for Runners" sesh - but fell off the wagon around July last year. Tight hammies kill everything - from calves to butt muscles - and limit my range of motion in my knees (which means slower/smaller strides, and recipe for injury). I can do 20 minutes a few times a week. No biggie (deep breaths).

-Share running more. When I started running in 2008, I was running for myself. I was just out of college, went through a job change, a break up, moved, my dog died and my truck broke down. I was running for emotional release. I was running to focus on something other than the mess I had made of my life. I ran all my races alone. While I was trying to run away from things, I ended up running into solutions. I started rebuilding. I ran myself right into some sort of functioning adult.

I've dabbled in group running, and obviously, I run with my best friend (my pace buddy) and my boyfriend (my rabbit) - but now it's so much a part of how I construct my identity, that people know I run. I mean, I'm talking about it on the internets! So now I want to focus on running with friends in 2012. Running buddies will keep me honest, mix up paces, and be a great support system (which started back with the Healthworks running group in 2009). Sharing running and my experiences will make it more fun! And I still get a run or 2 to myself a week so I can re-center if need be (a must-have for me). But I already have a few great people who run in my life - why not add some more?

-Reach and maintain a healthy BMI. Rather than focus on an ambiguous number on the scale (do I really need to hit my HS weight? Will that make me a better person?) I'm a handful of pounds away from being in the "Normal" range for BMI (whereas I've been in the "Obese" and "Overweight" ranges since...2003?) Have a range of weight to get to and maintain is much more realistic than trying to get myself to a weight I was at when I was taking my SATs. Focus is on health, feeling, and avoiding all the weight-related illnesses that plague my genetics.

Hope your 2012 is a healthier, happier one!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck Amy. Reached your blog thru Susan.
    Regards,
    Sanjay, New Delhi, India

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Amy! Also, good on you for No Meat Mondays. I went 95% veg about 2 years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. If you need any proteinspiration let me know; I'm happy to share some of my favorite recipes and resources with ya!

    Now go kick some tail, girl!

    ReplyDelete