Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Packed Schedule v Running

Miles run this week: 2
Days until Burlington: 204

Welp, the holiday season is upon us, which means weekends full of parties and cookies, miles ramping up, miles in the freezing cold, and pals are starting to train for Boston.

I'm looking at my schedule of miles, and the day before Christmas Eve I have a 10 miler slated. I finally manned up and ran 7 miles (without spin class before - much smarter) again...now I'm staring down 10? I'm starting to remember why I took 2011 off of marathoning. The time it demands alone is mentally grueling - nevermind that 68 minutes outside in 40-ish degree weather made my hands so cold that they were swollen when I got home.

But when I'm out there, I feel incredible. Thinking about the mere fact that I've run so many miles makes me run faster, and happier while I'm out there.

It's the getting out there that's tough. My whiney inner lazy fat kid takes over:
-It's dark out when you get home from work!
-You have so many cookies to make for parties!
-You have cheesecake in the fridge and Teen Mom 2 on DVR!
-There are so many presents to wrap!
-Cheesecake!

I ran two miles on the treadmill yesterday - and the way this week is shaping up, it's looking like I'll end up doing about 9 out of my 18 miles on the 'mill. This is awful for a couple reasons - (1) running on the treadmill is some form of torture from an ancient, evil civilization (2) it's hard on the body, particularly the hips (which are already a sad state of affairs for me). Between the cookie baking, present shopping and tree trimming, it looks like my only option.

I just keep thinking about how much happier I will be in Burlington if I lay the good groundwork now! (And cheesecake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment