Monday, November 21, 2011

And on the 7th day...there was Protein

Miles Run Today: 0. Miles run this week: 0.
Days until Burlington: 218

Yesterday was probably one of the hardest days I've had since my triathlon training schedule. My legs were like jelly the rest of the day, and they were like concrete when I woke up this morning.

And then I ate. And I ate and I ate and I ate. I even went out of my way to get a Greek yogurt because it has like 3 times the protein of a regular yogurt (but unfortunately has the consistency of grade school paste).

I hate rest days. Mostly because all I do is plow through whatever sort of food is in my way, and then do nothing to burn it off. My inner control freak starts it's calorie count hand-wringing on rest days. The obsessive, addicted little guy tries to tell me that I don't need a rest day...or strength training can be considered a rest day...or...how are you going to eat all that butternut squash? It's a rest day.

I've been able to breathe calmly through these this year, because between all my cross training, all those calories (and pounds) seem to fall off of me anyway (for the first time in 29 years - I can actually say weight is "falling off of me").

Everything I read says rest is important - if not more important - than logging miles. (Sometimes I take that more to heart than necessary. I think at some point, my rest days were flirting with "couch potato mode".) The sensible side of me knows that without a day or two off a week, I get cranky. I get fed up with continuous training. I don't even want to run 1 mile, let alone 10. So I am resting. And I am eating. And I am trying to make sure I walk that fine line between "not enough" and "too much". Because "it's better to be underdone than over cooked" (which I pulled from a Runner's World blog post I can't seem to find anywhere).

No comments:

Post a Comment