Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We Are Family

Miles Run this Week: 0
Days Until Burlington: 12

With Monster Month over, capped by a 20 mile peak run, my focus is on resting and carb loading (properly...which *apparently* doesn't include beer. Total sham.)

The rest part typically comes in the form of the "taper" - meaning I curb my total running mileage to let my legs rest and recover from a helluva month prior. Last week my long run was supposed to be 13 miles (as opposed to the 16-18-20s I've been doing).

Supposed to be.

In my unbelievable 20 miler, where I CRUSHED miles and felt like I had the power to flip over cars, I ran...nay...I RACED downhill from Brighton for the last 2-ish miles. Like a FOOL.

My IT band decided to rain down wrath on me last week. Like...circa 2004 knee pain wrath. So, I rested Monday - Wednesday. Thursday was a 6 miler...I made it 5 before searing pain. So I rested Friday and Saturday. Sunday I headed out for my 13 miler, got to 5.1, and my right leg was done. DONE. No stretching. No weight bearing. Done.

So as I hobbled home, I started to panic. This is the first time I've really trained for a race like this. I've read a nutrition book. I've printed out the course map and the elevation profile to plan water stops, food pick ups, and arrange my playlist for the tough parts.

And now my IT band decides it's mad at my knee, and I can't get above 5 miles? No. Nonononono.

I have had season-ending injuries before: a stress fracture in high school sidelined my entire senior year of soccer. I've had this nagging IT injury in my knee all through ultimate. I was carried off the field my last game as a senior because of this pain. No. Nononononono.

Instead of bursting into tears (which is really all you want to do if you think you're watching your goal creep away), I put an SOS up on Facebook.
"Quad/knee/IT band can't make it more than 5 miles at a time :( Limping home...anyone have rehab suggestions so I'm good to go in 2 weeks? Really worried..."

While running is absolutely an individual's event - how you do is up to you, and in the end, you're really only racing yourself - the running community is more expansive and supportive than any team I've ever played on.  I have reconnected with people from college over our love of running. I have been inspired by coworkers and women in my running group that have tackled races with strength and grace. Even as I interact with Members of Rue, I always find fellow runners, and we stick together - regardless of geography or whether or not we have even met. 

The outpouring of answers and support from my little question-turned-digital-support-group gave me another reason to love running. I have bonded with these women, even if we barely knew each other 10 years ago when we met, over the common feeling of empowerment. Instead of using running to isolate myself, it has enriched my community. In times where is seems women's propensity to tear each other down is at an all-time high, I belong to a sisterhood of support, encouragement and thoughtful dialog. Rather than feeling like the only person who has ever botched her training on the 20 miler, I saw that it's actually a common pit fall, and that it's something that many have overcome. 

So equipped with this knowledge and a lot of painkillers and ice, my outlook has improved. I'm even Smiling While Running

No comments:

Post a Comment